Teviotdale Harriers Captains Past & Present

In 1889 following a run, nine Hawick men called a meeting, “for the purpose of forming a Harriers club.” Teviotdale Harriers were born. One of the founder members, John R. Purdom was elected first ever Club Captain. The Captain according to John L. Coltman’s book, ‘First Hundred,’ was, “vested with full power to arrange runs, places of meets, paces, whips etc.”

At a recent committee meeting it was decided that the honour of Club Captain should be marked with a small memento. It was decided that the memento should be presented in the form of a pin badge, designed in the shape of the Harriers’ gate insignia.

It was also decided that this keepsake should be extended to all past Captains who’ve had the privilege to lead the third oldest running club in Scotland.

At this years opening run on Saturday 9th September, all past Men’s, Women’s and Junior Captains are warmly invited to come along to the Harriers clubrooms at 1pm for the opening run or to Hawick and Wilton Cricket Club at 4pm for a social event where the Club President will present the badges to past Captains.

The bar will be open and there will be a buffet provided, to which all members, family and friends are invited.

Yours sincerely

Teviotdale Harriers Committee.